Let’s face it, flies are not great to look at and many of them are accompanied by an annoying incessant buzzing noise. Is it any wonder that you want to get rid of them as soon as possible? There is also the added issue of flies helping to cause health problems such as food poisoning and respiratory issues. They do this because they are transporters of germs and bacteria. This makes it even more important that you deal effectively with flies in your home.
Of course, you can use fly sprays that you can buy from the store. But, these sprays are not always safe to use when you have young children or pets in your home. The good news is that there are natural and safe ways to rid your home of flies.
Fly control – the natural way
There are several natural methods of fly control that you can use, both inside and outside of your home.
- Fill a plastic bottle with a sugar solution, until it’s two thirds full. You then need to cut off the remainder of the bottle, and turn it upside down. Flies are attracted in and are then unable to escape again.
- Filling a jar with apple cider vinegar can have the same effect as the bottle filled with a sugar solution. You just need to use a paper funnel in the top of the jar, to trap the flies.
- Dab eucalyptus oil on ribbon material, to make fly traps. You then just need to hang them around your home.
- Plant herbs, such as basil and mint outside of your home. Flies are deterred by these herbs.
If these natural remedies do not work as well as you want them to, there are other safe methods of fly control you can try. This includes the use of UV-A lights from suppliers such as vectothor.com. These lights attract the flies and kill them.
How to make fly problems less likely
So, there are natural ways to get rid of flies that have entered your home. But, how can you make it less likely they will invade in the first place.
- If you are going to keep doors or windows open for any length of time, it’s a good idea to use fly screens.
- Make sure that there are no gaps or cracks in the exterior walls of your home, which flies can get through.
- Do not leave trash cans un-emptied.
- Make sure any animal faeces are cleaned up from your outside space.
- Do not leave food, especially uncooked meat, uncovered.
- Wash dirty dishes as soon as possible.
All of these tips can help make it less likely that flies will enter your home.
If you do find flies in your property, you should be able to manage the issue using safe and natural methods. If the issue turns into an infestation, you should call a pest control professional for assistance.